Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Mad Hatter


   This year for Halloween I didn't plan on doing anything aside from going trick or treating with my husband, bff, and my godchildren the Friday before actual Halloween.(We were a combinations of Avengers & Faries lol)  The week of Halloween my cousin text me to say she was having a Halloween party at her house and Casey & I should attend. I'm not gonna lie I got excited. This was a chance to make a costume that could be as creative as I wanted it to be. Then it hit me, I needed to not only come up with something for myself but one for my husband as well. I knew I wanted them to match or be related in some way and I knew I only had a couple days to pull it all off. My budget was basically $00.00 and anything I made for my husband i'd have to pray it fit him because he was away at outdoor school with our niece the whole week before Halloween. 

WHOOOOO would we be for Halloween ?
I started by looking through a million of my own boards on pintrest for all those AMAZING ideas i'd saved for myself and realized majority of them couldn't be done in such a short time. After digging through my costume trunk I got the perfect idea. My husband could be the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland and I could be Alice. The morning of the party I planned to run to the mall grab a light blue dress and use a t-shirt as an apron. I had it all planned out, or so I thought. While waiting for my husband to finish playing Playstation so we could run to the mall I got an idea. I CAN MAKE THE HAT, THE MAD HATTER HAT! It was a go BIG or go HOME kind of brain blast. I went back on pintrest and of course I had already pinned a how-to picture of the hat. After running though the apartment looking for spare cardboard I got to work.

First I cut out the necessary cardboard pieces to contruct my hat. The brim I had to cut out in 2 half circles I attached together to fit perfectly around my head.
The brim, a center piece, and a top
Next I cut out strips of cardboard to construct the sides of the hat. I attached them to the top of the hat. Then added the smaller cardboard circle halfway down the hat. Lastly I attached the bottoms of the cardboard to the brim of the hat. 
The cardboard skeleton of the hat. 
 After completing the cardboard skeleton and securing it with tape and hot glue I moved on to covering it.

I went through my bin of scrap fabrics and found a t-shirt I used for a costume in high school and a old pair of leggins. I started by covering the sides first with the t-shirt. 
Sides covered, getting ready for the brim
Next I took the leggins and and cut them into pieces to fit around the brim as well as the top. 
The first layer all glued into place.
I knew from the start (or after I saw it sitting on the floor) that I wanted to cover the hat with lace. I found a scarf I almost forgot about and used that and the band around my hat. For the 10/6 card I used a book page left over from a cut out book I made last Christmas. 

The Finished Product
For the rest of my costume I work things I already owned. A tweed blazer, long sleeve shirt, tulle skirt, tights, flats, and a scarf tied into a bow. I did my own make-up (the glitter I was still washing off a couple days after) 

Pouring some TEA
My Full Costume
For my husbands costume he wore his own clothes as well, bow tie, sweater, dress shirt, and slacks. Add bunny ears and a over sized clock and BOOM. COUPLE COSTUME! lol.
 

True Love


No comments:

Post a Comment